Articles and Documents
- McGREGOR SAND ARTIST - An article from the May 1945 issue (Vol. XXVI, No. 5) of the "The Palimpsest", a monthly magazine published by the State Historical Society of Iowa, devoted to the dissemination of Iowa history.
- An article that appeared in the Des Moines Register, September 16, 1962, about the presentation of the George Washington sandbottle to the state of Iowa.
- An letter to the Des Moines Register from Mrs. Katharine W. Spaulding, dated Sept. 16, 1962, about the above article.
- An excerpt from "History of Clayton County, Iowa", which includes an extended quotation from "Lectures Modernes", of Paris in July, 1903, regarding the sand art of Andrew Clemens.
- An brief article that appeared in True magazine, in the early 1960's, accompanying photos of several of Andrew Clemens' sandbottles.
- An letter from Glen Zirbes of McGregor, Iowa, dated November 9, 1964, which includes his memories of Andrew Clemens' sand painting technique.
- An letter from Pauline Williams to the Iowa State Dept. of History and Archives, concerning a sand bottle belonging to her family that was given to that institution.
- A reminiscence by Lewis G. Scharpf, Jr. of a trip to the Pictured Rocks area of McGregor, IA, with notes about a sandbottle made by Andrew Clemens for his great-grandfather.
- Newspaper article appearing in the Springfield, Missouri News Leader & Press, approximately 1939, about the sandbottle owned by Lewis G. Scharpf, Jr.
- "Pictured Rock Sand Potichomanie" by Stella Wythe. An article from The Spinning Wheel, a national magazine about antiques. It originally appeared in May 1953 and was reprinted in the January-February 1965 issue.
- "Seeing the World in Grains of Sand," a newspaper article by Glenn Ray Downing which appeared in the Idaho State Journal, July 6, 1973.